I Think, I Write, and I Speak About Innovation and the Future.
As a management scholar interested in strategy, innovation and entrepreneurship, I work at the intersection of managerial economics and management science. In my research work, I am currently interested in various dimensions of innovation and in the basis of corporate, and in particular sustainable, transformation
- Innovation strategies such as open innovation or frugal innovation
- Entrepreneurship, innovation & failure, in particular, the role of failure, the costs of failure, and learning from failure for innovation
- Higher education and its relationship with innovation, also innovation in higher education.
Over the past years, I have worked on numerous projects in the context of innovation and innovation systems quite extensively.
In my publications, I have a focus on different actors in innovation systems, their activities, their strategies, and their performance.
Currently, the papers in my publication pipeline deal with the role that strategies, digital technologies – in particular AI –, and external actors have on corporate transformation, innovation, and performance. Additionally, I look at catch-up processes. In 2020 I have started to look more closely at innovation in crises.
Also, I have developed a deep interest in applying methods that gauge the robustness of qualitative studies so as to be sure to add robust knowledge to the academic discussions in management.
Reflecting on my own work environment I have recently edited a volume analyzing the effect of technological development on higher education ‘The Disruptive Power of Online Education’.
As a faculty member at the University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany, I am happy to teach management of innovation at the Bachelor and the Master level; a field that I find thrilling and important at the same time.
I also hold workshops quite frequently, give presentations and deliver keynotes for larger and smaller audiences. I speak about:
- Innovation, success & failure
- Innovation and sustainability
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in crises
Also I facilitate discussions and panels both online and offline.
It is important for me to share my knowledge and expertise in the field of innovation and entrepreneurship with companies, public organizations, and funding institutions through:
- Offering workshops and consulting for SMEs.
- I am holding and I held (advisory) board memberships (e.g. EU Commission H2020 MSC-Action, Christian Doppler Society, Austria Wirtschaftsservice, startup.tirol)
- Coaching and counselling of startups.
- I head the InnoGreenhouse, the innovation and entrepreneurship center at the University of Hohenheim together with Andreas Kuckertz.
Additionally, I consider it crucial to share experiences with my colleagues within my organization and within my extensive network.